Suggest treatment for numbness and tingling sensation around the nose and mouth

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 11 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My 42 year old son is experiencing a numblike feeling, with tingling, around his nose and mouth area (like the area covered by an oxygen mask), also in his hands and feet. Along with a strange feeling in his stomach, like he hasn't eaten in days (hard to describe). This will last for a few days, then go away. Happening more frequently lately. I am concerned, but hard to get him to see a doctor. Any idea what this could be. He takes medication for high blood pressure and some meds for mild bipolar disorder (not sure the names, but he has taken for several years) Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not indicative of a neurological condition, anxiety to be considered

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

That distribution of the abnormal sensations doesn't correspond to a specific area of the brain or the spinal cord, so a lesion of those organs is unlikely. The involvement of the nose and mouth area along with the stomach sensation is not typical for involvement of the peripheral nerves either. So I do not think there is any neurological condition at play, you shouldn't be overworried.

At times metabolic issues such as electrolyte abnormalities or thyroid dysfunction may manifest this way. For that reason some blood tests like electrolyte panel (including in particular calcium and magnesium), liver and kidney function, glucose, blood count, thyroid function, vitamin B12 levels are advised.

However especially if those tests come back normal, I would say that the most probable cause is of a psychological origin. Anxiety does often manifest with such abnormal sensations like those. I would say considering his history of bipolar disorder that that is the most likely cause.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.