Suggest treatment for numbness and pain from shoulder radiating towards arm

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have shooting pain behind and underneath my left shoulder blade, which continues down my left arm. My arm is partially numb as well as my thumb and two fingers nearest my thumb. Back pain started 6 days ago, arm pain and numbness started 4 days ago. I have been doing massage, different ointments (emu oil, hot and cold rubs, etc.) and inversion therapy. Seems like a pinched nerve. I have insurance, which type of doctor should I see? I will not return to my previous doctor, and am seeking a new doctor.

What else can I do to relieve pain and pressure?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Posture, pain killer, hot water bag. Must see an Orthopaedician

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

You seem to be having pinched nerve due to slip disc such is causing symptoms of nerve compression like tingling, numbness, radiating pain.

I advise you to apply hot water bag over the painful area in the neck and the arm. Take pain killer and muscle relaxant combination like Tablet Diclofenac and Thicolchicoside combination twice a day for 7 days. Keep well hydrated. Adopt good posture and follow ergonomics at work. Avoid XXXXXXX the neck forwards and lifting any weight.

You should consult an Orthopaedician or Neurosurgeon for added inexhaustible like MRI of the cervical spine to know the level of nerve compression.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar