Suggest treatment for nausea, abdominal pain and chronic constipation

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 13 years old. She has been having nausea for about a month now. It is all the time, every day. It gets minimally some with the Zofran her pediatrition prescribed. We are also giving her non-drowsy Dramamine which is 1000mg of ginger root. She has been to the doctor two times over this. They have done a CBC and her white count was good. They have checked her stool for H pylori and it was negative. She has complained off and on of being hot and chilled but never had a fever until this morning. It is showing 99.5 on our home thermometer. She has been taking Omeprazole for about a week I guess and it has not helped. She just switched to Protonix yesterday. She has always had chronic constipation and began taking Magnesium for that a couple of weeks ago for that. It has helped. She is also taking Culturelle which her pediatrition recommended. She had either a virus or food poisoning about 6 weeks ago and the dr thinks that her bacteria may be out of balance. She also complains of central abdominal pain. She does not eat much due to the nausea and has lost 6 pounds recently. She says her poop smells like rotten eggs. I cannot smell it because of sever allergy issues so I can't verify that. She felt some better after she pooped this morning. She had a bad headache last night which might be due to sinus issues because she says she does have drainage right now. We all have had sinus/allergy issues for a while. She has been treated for many sinus infections over the past couple of years. She has also been very fatigued for the past month or so. I feel like her doctors may be letting something go and have considered taking her to the ER but we if it ends up not being an emergency, then our insurance will not pay.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like gastroesophageal reflux -. No need for emergency room

Detailed Answer:
Hi...by what you quote I feel that she might be having a gastroesophageal reflux as the nausea is there for the past one month.

Though omeprazole works for reflux, Taking omeprazole for a week may not show full effect.

Bad smelling poop is common in kids with constipation.

The occasional headaches seem to be unrelated. Unless vomiting comes along with headache with other symptoms like blurred vision, loss of consciousness, weakness of a body part you need not worry.

Your kid will need -
1. Antireflux therapy - Proton pump inhibitors + antiemetics.

2. Always make the kid lie down in a propped up position - as in the car seat. The kid should not be sleeping completely flatly.

3. Avoid heavy feeding and feeding more times and in small aliquots.

Your kid needs expert gastroenterology consultation.

Lastly if everything is fine here, but still she is nauseated means, then she might require a neuroimaging like MRI brain.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth