Suggest treatment for muscle spasm

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I started to sneeze last week and i hurt my throat really bad, it slowly got better this week, but this afternoon it started to hurt again when i ate. now it hurts every time i swallow, probably a 7 out of 10 in pain. it is not your sore throat due to a cold, it feels muscle related. now the pain radiates under my chin and sometimes up the side of my head. I was going to go to the er but think that is probably drastic. any thoughts.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I'll try my best to help you with this problem.

Violent sneezing would have caused spasm of the delicate muscles of the neck and the throat. As the muscles are still taut, it hurts while eating and swallowing.

Do not worry! With appropriate measures this can be taken care of.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Try taking muscle relaxant such as tizanidine or orphenadrine.
2. A potent anti inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac will help in speedy recovery.
3. Drink plenty of warm water.
4. Avoid chewing hard food.

If you are not getting better with the above measures, please consult your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 minutes later
Thank you, i forgot to mention it is a little sore to the touch on my right side, and that is the side it hurts on. How long should it take for it to heal itself. Is advil okay to take?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advil will reduce the soreness of the muscles...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The muscle soreness will come down with Advil. The relief in the pain depends upon the extent of muscle injury. it can vary from couple of days to a week.

Please follow rest of the measures as suggested in my previous response and you will recover faster.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Last question. One other thing that came up was thyroid cancer. That concerns me. But I know I over worry about things like that. What's your thoughts on this?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I doubt thyroid cancer...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

Thyroid cancers do not present this way. The former condition presents with swelling in the neck, difficulty in breathing, hormonal variations, neck pain, etc. It's rarely seen at this age of yours.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju