Suggest treatment for metallic taste in mouth due renal failure

Dr. Avinash Ignatius

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: is there any treatment for metallic taste in mouth due to stage 4 renal failure? Nephrologist answer only.
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Metallic taste in the mouth in CKD is due to uremic toxins. Usually when this stage is reached it is usually associated with anorexia/nausea. This an indication that CKD is progressing towards stage 5 and possible need for initiating dialysis.

However if your metallic taste is not associated with any other symptoms, some changes in your diet to reduce you protein intake, especially limiting animal protein in your diet.

Keeping some sour lozenges in your mouth may help reduce.

Rinsing your mouth frequently with water, and discard, do not swallow.

Using Chlorhexidine mouth wash at least twice daily could also help.

Warm regards