Can PVP prep solution be used on mucous membranes for surgery preparation?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Can PVP Prep Solution be used on mucous membranes (inside mouth) for surgery preparation? Tonsils, Adenoids, etc. Or what can be used to prep?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
prep is usually done in op room, chlorohexidine, pov-iodine, 1% cetrimide

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Prep is done in the op room. Agents that can be used are 1% cetrimide, chlorhexidine, povidin-iodine. These were compared in a medical study.

If you are concerned about the possibility of infection, the mouth or any area that is going to be incised during surgery is prepared by the nurse or surgery aid in the room.

Preparation of the area is not done at home because this would need to be continuously repeated.
The best time to prepare an area for surgery , to prevent infection, is to have it cleaned just before the surgery starts, this is done in the operation room.

The only preparations for adenoid or tonsillectomy are--(1) not using aspirin or other NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aleve) 10 to 14 days before the procedure
(2)not using any food/drink at least 6 hours prior to the procedure

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions