Can PVP prep solution be used on mucous membranes for surgery preparation?
prep is usually done in op room, chlorohexidine, pov-iodine, 1% cetrimide
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Prep is done in the op room. Agents that can be used are 1% cetrimide, chlorhexidine, povidin-iodine. These were compared in a medical study.
If you are concerned about the possibility of infection, the mouth or any area that is going to be incised during surgery is prepared by the nurse or surgery aid in the room.
Preparation of the area is not done at home because this would need to be continuously repeated.
The best time to prepare an area for surgery , to prevent infection, is to have it cleaned just before the surgery starts, this is done in the operation room.
The only preparations for adenoid or tonsillectomy are--(1) not using aspirin or other NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aleve) 10 to 14 days before the procedure
(2)not using any food/drink at least 6 hours prior to the procedure
I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Mucous membrane pemphigoid
- Inflamed mucous membranes
- Mucous membrane stitches itching
- Niaspan and mucous membrane problems
- Inflammation vaginal mucous membrane
- Is your butt a mucous membrane
- Permentanly damaged mucous membrane
- Mucous membranes tingling
- Peeling sin on mucous membranes
- Sloughing mucous membrane of mouth