Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

192 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes rashes on the upper thighs?

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 15822 Questions

Posted on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi. i have a bad rash between one upper thigh at the crease with the scrotum. it also smells. i did just return from a two day trip from south Florida. heat rash?
its very red with a milky substance in the center. i have had a past of mild jock itch left untreated,
please help! any relief would be greatly appreciated
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
intertrigo with possible infection (fungal and/or bacterial)

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Intertrigo is inflammation/irritation of the skin folds such as the groin area, axilla.

This is due to heat, as you mentioned, friction between the folds and moisture.

Intertrigo can be complicated with bacterial or/and fungal infection.Based on the description mentioned, this seems to be the case for you.

The use of the anti bacterial soap and the chlorhexidine is fine.

In addition, you would need to reduce the friction, moisture and also treat any infection present.
This means---(1) separate the folds whenever possible

(2)use a barrier product such as zinc based cream or petrolatum . Products such as XXXXXXX goo contain barrier cream along with an anti fungal to treat a fungal infection. It also has a mild steroid to reduce inflammation
A topical antibiotic such as fucidin, bactroban, neosporin-- can be added

(3)if you cannot find the combination XXXXXXX goo then-- apply a topical antibiotic and a topical antifungal twice daily (Eg clotrimazole, econazole, ketoconazole, miconazole).
After apply these, then apply the barrier cream- zinc based or petrolatum

It can sometimes take a few weeks for a response particular with a fungal infection

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Topical antifungal

doctor1 MD

My daughter is overseas and has asked about a rash she has developed: First one, now two, salmon-colored slightly raised patches of approximately 2 and 3 centimeters, respectively. One is just anterior to her left axilla, the other is on her...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, The inner skin of my thighs are becoming black and with small hard pimples . Please advise some medications as one of the pimple is paining and during itching has got open as well

doctor1 MD

I was having itching in my areas involving touching such as thighs, underarms and it was causing sour smell, so i asked one of the doctors here and they said that i have XXXXXXX otch and prescribed me an anti fungal cream but couldnt find it. I...