What causes rashes on the upper thighs?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi. i have a bad rash between one upper thigh at the crease with the scrotum. it also smells. i did just return from a two day trip from south Florida. heat rash?
its very red with a milky substance in the center. i have had a past of mild jock itch left untreated,
please help! any relief would be greatly appreciated
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
intertrigo with possible infection (fungal and/or bacterial)

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Intertrigo is inflammation/irritation of the skin folds such as the groin area, axilla.

This is due to heat, as you mentioned, friction between the folds and moisture.

Intertrigo can be complicated with bacterial or/and fungal infection.Based on the description mentioned, this seems to be the case for you.

The use of the anti bacterial soap and the chlorhexidine is fine.

In addition, you would need to reduce the friction, moisture and also treat any infection present.
This means---(1) separate the folds whenever possible

(2)use a barrier product such as zinc based cream or petrolatum . Products such as XXXXXXX goo contain barrier cream along with an anti fungal to treat a fungal infection. It also has a mild steroid to reduce inflammation
A topical antibiotic such as fucidin, bactroban, neosporin-- can be added

(3)if you cannot find the combination XXXXXXX goo then-- apply a topical antibiotic and a topical antifungal twice daily (Eg clotrimazole, econazole, ketoconazole, miconazole).
After apply these, then apply the barrier cream- zinc based or petrolatum

It can sometimes take a few weeks for a response particular with a fungal infection

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions