Suggest treatment for lump in collarbone

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My 16 month old baby shrugs his right shoulder and keeps his right elbow tucked in while running keeping the arm 90 degree angle. Left arm moves naturally. When he was infant if we pulled him by arms he wouldn extend both of them evenly,he would lean toward right side shortening the move of right arm while the left would have better extension. When he plays he is all ok - equal use of both arms. When he stands he is also ok. But only when runs. We took him to pediatric orthopedic cause we felt a small lump on his right collarbone. We had asked pediatricians about it before and some were claiming probably calcification due to broken clavicle on delivery( we never knew he had broken clavicle on delivery). So we took him to pediatric orthopedic. He did xray and there is no calcification. No signs of breakage. Perfect bone frame. So what could be the lump? Why is he tucking his arm while running? Is it connected?thank you.
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
get pediatric neurological consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have seen the attached pictures.
Based on the information you have given and the pictures it doesn't look like orthopaedic problem especially because xray is normal.
I suggest you to consult pediatric neurology to get him examined for any neurological abnormalities.
This could cause increase muscle tone and the posture.
The lump could be a node ultrasound examination can confirm.
Wishing your child speedy recovery.
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Arun 3 hours later
Is that node dangerous? What is the reason for the node? And when you say neurological doctor does tha mean there might be something wrong with him neurologically? His development is fine so far except for that.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
not dangerous

Detailed Answer:
1. Nodes are not dangerous.
It could be due to infections in the draining area of that node.
2. Even if his development is normal, there could be local neurological issues. It is better to clear it by examination.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Arun 42 hours later
What is considered under local neurological issues? What kind of tests are performed if you know?
Answered by Dr. Arun 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nerve and muscle weakness

Detailed Answer:
Nerve weakness like brachial plexus involvement and muscle weakness could be identified both by clinical examination and test like emg.