What causes tingling sensations in the left arm?
normal functioning ---no change in meds, etc. He will not call his Cardiologist because he states this only happens when he is doing work that requires utilizing his left arm. (such as working in the backyard). I don't want to alarm him.
Could this be related to the pacemaker placement? I am unable to find info on the internet and I no longer have access to a reliable a resource such as Medscape. Thank you.
I would explain as follows:
Welcome on HCM!
I passed carefully through your husband medical concern and would like to explain that the tingling left arm and shoulder area seems more likely to be related to a pinched nerve (nerve entrapment) in the brachial plexus.
First of all, in order to explore every possibility it is necessary to locally inspect for any sighs and symptoms of inflammation in the surrounding tissue of implanted pacemaker unit.
Some markers of inflammation (complete blood count, PCR, ESR, etc.) would be helpful in this regard.
But, the most common cause would be a degenerative process through the nerve pathways surroundings and these needs to be medically explore through further electro-physiological study, such as:
a nerve conduction study.
In addition other test could give valuable hints to the exact etiology, like:
- blood electrolytes level,
- fasting blood glucose,
- thyroid hormones level,
- ultrasound exam of the pacemaker unit surrounding tissues,
- resting ECG,
- chest X ray study (including left arm joint)
You need to discuss with his attending doctor on the above mentioned issues.
Hope to have been helpful to you!
In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause tingling sensation in left hand
- What causes tingling sensation in head
- What causes tingling sensation on face
- What causes painnumbness and tingling in arms
- What causes tingling in arm
- Sinus infection cause left arm tingling
- What causes tingling and numbness in arms
- Tingling on the left shoulder and arm cause
- Tingling sensation in arm finger what could be the cause
- What causes tingling sensation and numbness in hands and arms