What causes tingling sensation below the scapula?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I am curious as to what causes tingling below the scapula. I have had this one an off for the past year or so. Sometimes, I don't have it for months and then I have periods where it occurs daily. But it's not consistent. It lasts for a few seconds and then goes away.

I do know that I have minor disc bulging in my cervical spine (especially around C6 and C7). I also have a winged scapula, but I've had this my entire life and the tingling is new. It seems to worsen when I take a bath and when I work too long on the computer. Otherwise, I can see any triggers.

I am most curious as to where the nerves at the bottom of the scapula orginate from. I'm also curious about Notalgia paraesthetica though I don't have any itching. I'm wondering if it's possible to have that with just the pins and needles feeling (and no itching).
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably pinched sensory nerve(s).

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for your queries here at Healthcaremagic.com.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Pruritis (itching) is the main feature of notalgia paresthetica, besides dysesthesia and infrascapular location, so, this condition is unlikely the only diagnosis in your case.

Nerves that supply bottom of the scapula with sensory innervation arise from T4 and T5 levels of the spinal cord, motor innervation of the scapula is carried out from nerves that arise from brachial plexus.

Since you feel only sensory symptoms pinched sensory nerves at the T4 or T5 levels may be the culprit.

An MRI of the thoracic spine may be useful in understanding better your condition.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D