Suggest treatment for loss of balance while walking

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, my father 78 yrs old who is diabetic and had gone thru angioplasty 4 yrs back has been having low sodium episodes... Last 3 - 4 days he again had low sodium dropping to 117... Today it has recovered however he is complaining of frequent urination in last few days... He had a slight prostrate issue which was diagnosed as Grade 1, however doctor said that should not be too much of an issue. from the time he had angioplasty and his first low sodium episode, his mobility came down and he has not been walking very well. Until the day of angioplasty he used to walk very well and he was very fit though he has been diabetic for 20 yrs. He has been complaining of loss of balance while walking and takes small steps.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Electrolyte imbalance with possible dehydration

Detailed Answer:

Electrolyte imbalance with possible dehydration seems cause of his current symptoms.

May be increased urination is leading to both electrolyte loss and fluid loss.

This increased urination frequency doesn't look like related to grade I prostatomegaly.

It is also important to see his current sugar levels , as they can cause increased urination.

Look for symptoms like dry wrinkled skin, dry eyes, increased thirst, irritability and tiredness etc.

Also get renal function tests checked.Urine analysis is also advisable.

Meanwhile keep close watch on fluid intake.Also it would be wise to measure fluid intake and urine output.This will help doctor take decision.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.