Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for loss of balance while walking

Answered by
Dr. Sudhir

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2000

Answered : 1417 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, my father 78 yrs old who is diabetic and had gone thru angioplasty 4 yrs back has been having low sodium episodes... Last 3 - 4 days he again had low sodium dropping to 117... Today it has recovered however he is complaining of frequent urination in last few days... He had a slight prostrate issue which was diagnosed as Grade 1, however doctor said that should not be too much of an issue. from the time he had angioplasty and his first low sodium episode, his mobility came down and he has not been walking very well. Until the day of angioplasty he used to walk very well and he was very fit though he has been diabetic for 20 yrs. He has been complaining of loss of balance while walking and takes small steps.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Electrolyte imbalance with possible dehydration

Detailed Answer:

Electrolyte imbalance with possible dehydration seems cause of his current symptoms.

May be increased urination is leading to both electrolyte loss and fluid loss.

This increased urination frequency doesn't look like related to grade I prostatomegaly.

It is also important to see his current sugar levels , as they can cause increased urination.

Look for symptoms like dry wrinkled skin, dry eyes, increased thirst, irritability and tiredness etc.

Also get renal function tests checked.Urine analysis is also advisable.

Meanwhile keep close watch on fluid intake.Also it would be wise to measure fluid intake and urine output.This will help doctor take decision.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Prostatomegaly

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am getting a pain the right groin area since last night. I have been lifting weights for some time now but I did not feel any pain while exercising. The pain began while I was sleeping last night. Though the pain is not severe,it...

doctor1 MD

I am 55years aged male, reported Grade1 Prostatomegaly and mild fatty Liver in abdomen and kub scan. I had abdomen pain especially after long walking. My Physician advised UROSOL 150 ONCE DAILY and URIMAX 0.4G (TWICE A DAY). Please suggest any...

doctor1 MD

My dad is having problems in urine bladder .... In testing reports grade GRADE III PROSTATOMEGALY WITH SIGNIFICANT POSTVOID RESIDUE Is it critical situation?

doctor1 MD

I am male, 67 years old. I have recently had a scan and found out that my prostate is showing PROSTATOMEGALY, and as the prostate is enlarged it is pushing my bladder. I have been getting a mild pain on the right hand side of the lower abdomen for 2 or 3 years, a bearable pain but concerning. Could this pain be coming from the enlarged prostate pushing on the bladder ?

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. Chandan,
USG reported that I have a mildly enlarged prostate measuring 3.1x3.4x3.4 cm(weight 21gms). It also shows homogenous and smooth outline. Seminal vesicles are normal. USG impression: mild prostatomegaly. I am 40 years old. Is there any problem in having sexual intercourse? Please suggest me what to do.

doctor1 MD

I HAVE GOT ULTRA SOUND ABDOMEN TEST TODAY ON A CASUAL CHECK-UP. IT WAS REPORTED THAT enlarged size with median lobe protuding into bladder base, normal in shaoe, position, and echotexture. Radiologist remarked it as GRAII PROSTATOMEGALY. i am now 50 year old man.

kindly advise me about this finding,