Suggest treatment for lesions on liver and pancreas

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had pain of the upper abdomen and in the back on and off for some time now. I had an MRI a few years ago and and CT recently and they showed lesions on the liver and minor calcification of the pancreas. I especially have pain at night and have lost some weight. What can be the problem?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

Upper abdominal pain and back pain are usually caused by gallstones. Unfortunatelly some gallstones are invisible in CT. To visualize gallstones ultrasound should be done. Gallstones pain is usually associated with foods intake. Nausea can be present.
Another possibility is peptic ulcer. This issue is also invisible in CT or MRI. To diagnose it, gastroscopy should be done. This test will also rule stomach cancer out and can diagnose Helicobacter Pylori infection.
Liver lesion or pancreas calcification do not cause any pain at all.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.