Suggest treatment for left leg swelling, redness, itching and oozing

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: I Hope you can answer my questionMy mother is an 86 year old woman and she has her left leg that is very swollen and it just came up unexpectedly with a red rash and the traffic crashes choosing she says it itches and it's very deep red and very swollen and the. skun very tight with a deep red rash wiich is oozing clear
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Swelling reduction necessary immediately.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. The left leg swelling, due to fluid accumulation is affecting the skin, which is causing it to ulcerate. The skin and blood vessel being damaged is causing all these symptoms. This has led to redness, itching and oozing.
2. Swelling in leg needs reduction.
3. Cause requires evaluation.
a. Is it bilateral or only one side?
b. Since when?
c. Any treatment for swelling taken?

4. If its bilateral, limb elevation in lying down position, above heart position, with 2-3 pillows below legs, should reduce swelling. Overnight and even during day time is necessary ( for at least 2-3 days ).

5. Also diuretics like furosemide, can help in reduction of swelling. If no hypertension, then it can be started at 10-20 mg, and it should reduce swelling. If associated hypertension is present, discuss with your doctor regarding possible hypotension risk.

6. For red rash and oozing, sterile dressing is necessary. Until swelling reduces, it would not heal. For itching reduction, antihistamines like cetrizine or at night loratidine will be helpful.

Meet your doctor for prescription of furosemide. Limb elevation and swelling reduction is necessary. If its only unilateral and limb swelling is not reducing, color doppler study of vascular and lymphatic evaluation of affected limb is necessary.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist