What causes chest and back pain along with cough, nasal congestion and diarrhea?

Question
I have severe chest and back pain, a cough, nasal congestion and diarrhea. It is hard to take a breath. What do you think is going on? I have never been so sick and I am 70.
Fri, 4 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs routine blood workup, chest X-ray and EKG

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it needs to be ruled out for acute respiratory infection specially atypical pneumonias which present with all these set if symptoms but for chest pain both pleuritic and cardiac needs to be ruled out on chest x-ray and EKG as well as routine blood workup starting from complete blood picture and CRP alongwith liver and renal functions.

You may need antibiotics though macrolides are generally preferable but keeping in view your drug allergies to myacins quinolones like Moxyfloxacin may be an option but it needs detailed evaluation by a physician as soon as possible.

Meanwhile analgesics like acetaminophen can be continued with anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine. Water intake should be appropriate to avoid dehydration. Steam inhalations and saline water gargles will also help. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.