Suggest treatment for large lump near vagina

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I am 62 years old and over the last few weeks have noticed a lump about the size of a large marble just at the beginning of my vagina. I can see it with a mirror so it's quite close to the outside. Not sure what it could be?

Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be a cyst. Consult Gynecologist

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

Since you did not write about, pain or discharge, it is not infection or abscess.

It could be one of the following:

1. Bartholin cyst /labial cyst--It occurs due to blocking of duct of the gland. It is first seen in the lower part of labia. As the secretions increase it can increase in size.
2. Lipoma- a small mass consisting of fat cells

3. Vericosities in the labia-In this case you would also have vericosities in the leg /thigh too.

5. Very rarely it could be a mesenchymal tumour ( connective tissue tumour) or smooth muscle tumour.

To confirm what it is, so that correct treatment can be given you must fix appointment with Gynecologist and visit her. In my opinion from what you have written, it appears to be a cyst.

I hope I have answered your concerns. If you have any further queries, do write to us. I will be happy to answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN