Owl Image

What are the repercussions of a prostate biopsy?

Owl Image
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Question
what are the repucusions and effecs of a prostate biopsy ?
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide few more details

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for query
Based on the facts that you have posted it seems that you have undergone biopsy of prostate one month back and have now facing a problem of ejaculation the volume of ejaculate being negligible .

I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) Do you get orgasm during sex or masturbation ?
2)Have you been prescribed any drug like Tomsulosin ?

Infection and bleeding during immediate post operative period are the two main repercussions and side effects of Prostate Biopsy .

The loss of ejaculate that yo are facing may be due to anxiety or what is called as Retrograde Ejaculation which results from taking Tomsulosin .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What are the repercussions of a prostate biopsy? 19 hours later
If it is the tomsulosin that I was given just 5 days before my biopsy for a urinary blockage is there alternative that wont have the same side effects ? will the syptoms "lack of feeling of orgasem " persist ?

Brief Answer:
This is due to side effect of Tomsulosin .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for feedback .

Tomsulosin is a smooth muscle relaxant that is generally prescribed to improve urine flow .It is a smooth muscles relaxant that relaxes smooth muscles in bladder neck and prostate and helps to improve urine flow .However it keeps bladder neck wide open making semen to move backwards in to bladder rather than pushing it forward into urethra to be expelled out through urethral opening .This is called as retrograde ejaculation or Dry ejaculation .

This effect will last as long as you are taking this drug.

Unfortunately there are no substitute for Tomsulosin .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.