Suggest treatment for itchy red rashes in a child after taking Zithromax

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: I have an 8 year old daughter who was diagnosed earlier this week with scarlet fever. She is allergic to penicillin, so the doctor gave her Zithromax. Today was day 3 of her zithromax treatment and an hour after her daily dose, she was covered head to toe in a red, itchy rash. I took her in to see the doctor, who gave her 10ml of Benadryl. It has been nearly 3 hours since she took the Benadryl and the rash is still very present and itchy. The doctor has suggested that we keep her on Zithromax for the remaining two doses...but that we give my daughter the medicine in the doctor's office in case of a more severe reaction. I am very nervous about continuing on this course of medical treatment. Please help me to make a good decision on what to do next for my daughter.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YOur doctor is right - it is best to continue the treatment but -supervised

Detailed Answer:
HI....YOur doctor is right. We cannot stop the medication as the indication is a bacterial cause and if scarlet is not treated well it can cause cardiac complications.

But I agree with your doctor. The best course of action is to continue the treatment but under medical supervision. So I agree with your doctor that the treatment has to be given in his presence.

For emergency at home - you can keep adrenaline injection with you - like Epipen. Kindly ask your doctor regarding this.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth