Suggest treatment for itching in the vulva

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I had indicated that I had itching on the vulva for 3 days. I used Monistat Pessaries and cream I have not felt any change. I am on my menstruation
at the moment. Any advice please. I need some relief.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
see below answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam ,

In your last 2 questions there was no mention about vulva itching. The pessaries and cream which you are using both are antifungal and supposed to reduce itching .

But since your are having menstruation there are likely chances that there may be more moisture at the vulva which is preventing adequate actionbof creams and also increases growth of fungi.

I would suggest you to keep the area as dry as possible though it is difficult by frequently changing pads. I suggest to use oral antihistaminics like cetrizine till itching subscides.

Continue pessaries and cream 3 to 4 days after completion of menstruation. By that time it should control infection. If still it persisit then show to doctor and get drugs changed as they may be ineffective.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad