Suggest treatment for internal haemorrhoids

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had pain around the anal opening for two months. This started during a bowel movement has the bow pass through the opening I felt a prickly pins and needles sensation. It is mostly on the left side and it goes up into the skin slightly of the left butt cheek and perineal area. I have had anal Fisher surgery 20 years ago and have suffered hemorrhoids on and off. I saw a colorectal specialist who look within anocope and did not see anything that should cause me pain. He only saw two small internal hemorrhoids and the scar tissue from the fisssure surgery I had 20 years ago. He prescribed Proctofoam HC 1% with no relief. I am now using triamcinolone acetonide cream 0.1% twice a day and clotrimizole amd betamethasone twice a day as well. Also soaking in sitz baths twice to three times a day. The pain is much worse while sitting as if spreading of the skin is causing the pain. Also while walking it feels as though the skin is rubbing against something and causing pain. I am very uncomfortable and am looking for any type of suggestions for relief. Since the anoscope and rectal physical exam did not show anything I am not sure what else to do. They just prescribed these creams to see if they might be of assistance with my pain. I had a colonoscopy done exactly one year ago with nothing abnormal.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anal pain and discomfort during bowel movement

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your post on HCM

I do understand your pain and discomforts

As per your clinical history is concerned you have pain and discomfort while bowel movement so you can follow few things -

1)Increase fiber in your diet you can use a non-prescription fiber supplement every day or discuss with your treating doctor to include a stool softeners.

2)Make a regular plan for exercise to improve blood circulation to anus and rectum. Your physiotherapist will guide you and teach you how to relax your pelvic floor muscles at the right time during defacation. “If”required he will measure your muscle tension by inserting a special tube inside your anus.

3)Take your time in the bathroom, allowing yourself enough time to have a bowel movement without distractions and without feeling rushed.

Hope that helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 4 hours later
The pain started with a bowel movement. However it no longer hurts during a bowel movement. I use baby moist wipes, but sometimes I do you have pain when wiping. There is no blood and they tested my stool and there was no blood. I take fiber supplements every day and have for years and I also take myrolax every day and have for years. I do get relief after lying in bed on my back for a while, however after sitting for just a few minutes the pain returns. When I spread the opening of the anal area the skin on the left outside is very painful however they did not find a fiissure and the two small internal hemorrhoids were not thrombosed. They did not find a fungal infection but prescribed medicine just in case. I do on occasion fill a very slight discomfort in the left lower abdomen/pelvic Area but it is very slight and barely noticeable. There is no loan in that area Nothing has seemed to help. I understand that you have not physically examined me but from my explanation and from my doctors bindings what do you think is the cause of my pain? Do you think the medications they have prescribed will eventually help?
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anal Pain

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up question on HCM

As per your question I may say that it is due to pelvic muscles only, so there is no physical sign present during colonoscopy if any muscle is involved then it can be corrected by specific exercises only.

Secondly you can discuss with your doctor regarding [levator Ani Syndrome] and the medications they are using is symptomatic only and you can take it without any problems.

Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 1 hour later
Thank you. It feels like the problem is a sore, tender left anal sphincter muscle that is tender when pressed on with a finger pr streched. Escpescially when pressure and streching of the muscle is made worse when sitting. Could a tight dphincter cause this? Are there any specific treatments or exercises i can try at home to see of this is the issue. Hoedully this makes sense. Thank you so much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Exercise

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up questions,

As per your question you can sit in a tub of warm water for at least 30 mins three times a day everyday. start a simple walking everyday in the morning and evening. Take a multivitamin capsule once a day at bedtime . Take a pinch of Potassium chloride after you eat your meals for next one week..

Hope this helps

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee