Suggest treatment for infertility

Posted on Fri, 23 Jan 2015 in Infertility Problem
Question: I really hope you can help me. Let me start from the beginning I am 39 years of age, never used any kind of contraception and have never been pregnant. I was never sexually active until I was 26 years of age and then it would only be maybe 3 times a year. We have been more sexually active the past 6 months about twice a week. I have only ever had one partner and that is my current husband.

I got married in July 2012 and we decided we wanted to try for a baby. We have never been consistent with intercourse.

I really want to conceive naturally, do you really see this can happen for us? I am overweight. My husband has 20 cigarettes a day and drinks within the alcoholic guidelines (lager or bitter).

I have seen a Gynaecologist who sees no problems in me conceiving and says I have a good egg reserve for my age. My Day 3 FSH was 4.2. I am going to bed every night crying thinking I will never conceive naturally.

I usually have a regular bleeding pattern 24-28 day cycles. Never have pain or any kind of problem
I can’t afford anything privately it will have to be on NHS my own GP won’t refer me as he thinks I am panicking over nothing.
I have a Clearblue Fertility Monitor, do you see this will help?

1. Is my FSH on day 3 of 4.2 normal?
2. Do you agree the fertility monitor is a good diagnosis for ovulating?
3. Do you see I can conceive naturally?
4. Can I have an infertility check for myself and if so how do I go about this?
5. Any suggestions please to help me achieve what I really want.
6. Am I stressing out too much?

If Clearblue fertility monitor shows 3 bars do I:

1. Ovulate
2. Release an egg
3. Should I conceive naturally
Another thing that confuses me is Fertility Monitor shows Ovulation, but Ovulation strips do not. I think I am getting myself into a Frenzy and should just use the Fertility Monitor and forget ovulation test strips. What are your thoughts please?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for IVF

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

When we had discussed last time in detail, we agreed to wait till Christmas and see with fertility monitors.

You may be ovulating but pregnancy is not happening.

I suggest now its high time you go ahead with IVF. Your GP is wrong. Find some other way to go for IVF. It's last resort.
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 23 minutes later
Pregnancy not happening cos not had no intercourse can you please advise regarding the above matter forgetting that I have ever contacted you in the past. I would like a complete new start on this please as it is a new start of the New Year thank you
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
details

Detailed Answer:
I am answering your queries below

1.FSH levels are normal.

2. Transvaginal ultrasound scan is better way to check ovulation in you than fertility monitors.

3 . Your chances of conceiving naturally are low.

4. You don't have naturally ways for this.

5. Give up fertility monitors. They are not helping you much.

6. Go for IVF soon
Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist