Suggest treatment for infected toe nails

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 in General Health
Question: for over three years I have had pain in my big toe, have had 4 procedures including holes into nail to release infection, part of nail removed and scraping of skin under nail tested was told it was benign. Next slits cut around skin below toe nail again infection needed constant visits by nurse to clean it. Last procedure was part of nail removed. Big toe is still very painful, skin red/purple, skin feels very tight. Had an x-ray today and was informed that one of the reasons was to see if it is cancer now waiting for an ultra sound.
Does this seem like cancer? I am white Scottish, mid seventies, never had sunburn (our climate!!!) Healthy for my age.
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please consider following possibilities

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir greetings

i had gone through your question diligently and i can understand your concern

Looking at your history this could be in growing of toe nail, fungal infection like dermatophytosis osteomyelitis of phalanx chronic paronychia or a cancer

if you can upload me a photograph I will be able to help you better

in my You should ask your doctor for a biopsy test and a removal of nail under antibiotics cover

here I would like to warn you that your doctor should search for a underlying cause for this chronic issue, which could be diabetes,poor wound healing or repeated trauma

hope this addresses your question
follow up questions are most welcome
regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T