Suggest treatment for high fever, cold and cough in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my 5 year old son is having 103 degree fever every 4hours from 36hours. He has cold, caugh
. His friend in school had similar fever which came down in 3days. Can I give him taxim o syrup after 48hour of fever? Should I wait more to take blood test? He doesn't have rashes or body pains. He is eating very little food. Drinking little water
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness - do not give antibiotic like Taxim-O

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.
Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Suggestions to queries -

1. It is spreading from other kids from school means it is due to viral infection.

2. Please do not use antibiotics like Taxim-O (Cefixime) for viral illness. It is not indicated and carries the risk of antibiotic resistance if unnecessarily used.

3. No need for any blood tests.

4. If the kid is well in between 2 episodes of fever on same day - then it is viral.

5. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,