Ask a Urologist   »  

Are lower back pain and blood clots in urine after a ureteroscopy normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I had a procedure done yesterday to remove an 8mm kidney stone from my ureter. The urologist went in, broke it up and placed a stent in. The stent is to remain until Monday. My doctor's office is closed now and I'm experiencing a lot of lower back pain and passing clots. Just want to know if this is normal. I've had this procedure before but never had these issues.
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to inflammation of Ureter (Ureteritis)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Pain in lower back and passing blood clots after Ureteroscopy and placing stent in ureter does happen once in a while and is mostly due to infection of ureter Ureteritis in addition to foreign body reaction of the Ureter to stent.

Take antibiotic like Cefixime , Nitrofurantoin and pain killer like Diclofenac twice daily along with urine alkalizer thrice daily .
.
Normally it gets resolved within 4-5 days and after removal of stent .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.