Are lower back pain and blood clots in urine after a ureteroscopy normal?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I had a procedure done yesterday to remove an 8mm kidney stone from my ureter. The urologist went in, broke it up and placed a stent in. The stent is to remain until Monday. My doctor's office is closed now and I'm experiencing a lot of lower back pain and passing clots. Just want to know if this is normal. I've had this procedure before but never had these issues.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to inflammation of Ureter (Ureteritis)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Pain in lower back and passing blood clots after Ureteroscopy and placing stent in ureter does happen once in a while and is mostly due to infection of ureter Ureteritis in addition to foreign body reaction of the Ureter to stent.

Take antibiotic like Cefixime , Nitrofurantoin and pain killer like Diclofenac twice daily along with urine alkalizer thrice daily .
.
Normally it gets resolved within 4-5 days and after removal of stent .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.