Suggest treatment for high fever and joint pain

Question
From last night I'm having period (which was 6 days late) with high fever, severe joint pain, muscle ache, lower abdominal cramping, nausea. I'm 28 and mother of one baby.
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms of an infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

I should rightfully start by asking you what your recorded temperature ranges were? And as you have mentioned the use of paracetamol, did your temperature drop after the consumption of the drug and rise again?

As of now your symptoms are totally unrelated to your menstrual cycle and are most probably indicative of an infection of some sort. Have you been exposed to any sick individuals or have visited any crowded regions recently as Eid just passed?

My father also resides in Saudi Arabia, and contracted a viral infection as well during his time spent at Mecca from two days before Eid until Eid (spent there). As he was in Mecca (which was very crowded) he contracted the infection there, and since then is being treated symptomatically by me, with a successful complete recovery achieved only today.

Please write back to me with a response to the questions I have asked so I can help you further. In the meantime, get as much bed rest as possible as your infection (possibly viral) can only be treated symptomatically.

Looking forward to your respected reply ma'am.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high fever and joint pain 2 hours later
1. Temp around 38.5
2. After drinking paracetamol temp drop for 3-4 hr, then rise again.
3. Last time i have exposed to crowd was eid prayer 3days back

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A few instructions to follow

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Thank you so much for that information.

All your symptoms indicate a possible viral infection, with possible secondary bacterial infection. The first thing you need to know is that viral respiratory infections are treated symptomatically and so we do not directly treat the infection, but prevent complications and treat the symptoms to make the patient feel more comfortable.

I would request you to visit a doctor if possible, or initiate the following:
- Tablet azithromycin 250 mg 1-0-1 x 5 days
- Betadine or Tantum mouthwash to be gargled
- Any cough syrup (expectorant) that you can get over the counter
- Drink plenty of water
- Gargle your mouth with lukewarm water and a little salt in it
- Most importantly get as much bed rest as possible
- Avoid oily/fried/fatty and spicy food

I am sure you will recover by the end of the course prescribed ma'am. Do not worry, and just follow my instructions. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. I would be more than happy to help you.

My belated Eid wishes to you and your family.
Dr. Shoaib Khan