Owl Image

Suggest treatment for high BP

Cardiologist
Question
At the dermatologist, i learned that my BP was very high. THey were concerned about how high it was and took it again before I left. They told me to take it again later, which we did a t the local pharmacy. It was higher. I went to the doctors and it was around 162/112. They discharged me when it got to around 150/102. over the last few hours it has hovered around 140/100. I do not have a history of high BP, and in fact, only three weeks ago it was checked at my family doctors and it was normal. It should be noted that I recieved some really bad family news today so I assume stress could have caused it, but I didn't think it would stay this elevated all day and tonight. What can cause such an elevation in my bp in only three weeks. What should I do?
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking to HCM!

Based on the data you provided it looks like the beginning of hypertension. It's a well known fact that in the beginning hypertension is stress related (or situational related).

The first thing to do I your case is lifestyle change.
- Avoid salty food.
- Reduce alcohol consumption.
- Increase physical activity.
- Loose weigh if you are obese.

More over I recommend running some medical tests for a proper evaluation.
- Ecg
- Echo cardiography
- BP monitoring
- Blood analysis (especially renal function)
- Abdominal ultrasound.

Hope this will be of help!
Dr. Benard

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for high BP 12 minutes later

I recently (6 months ago) had some blood and creatin in my urine so I had an MRI and they determined that I had only cysts (2). During that time, I had an ultrasound and MRI and also met with a kidney specialist who said everything was fine. That was this last december. Also during that time my BP was normal. I also seem to have to urinate often, even when I don't drink much. Ironically, it isn't just a small amount, I am urinating a full bladder full.

1. DOes any of this sound related?
2. With lifestyle change and proper treatment, can I expect to achieve a normal life expectancy?

THanks

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle&diet changes can help...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, back,

1. I am glad to know that your blood pressure was ok 6 months back. Little evidence that your current hypertension is caused by any renal issues.

There are many factors causing your blood pressure to stay at high levels:
- stress
- bad diet and lifestyle regimen
- alcohol/tobacco/use of energetic drinks/coffee (stimulants)

2. To my opinion, yours is Stage I of hypertension. Yes, with healthy lifestyle changes and proper treatment, you 'll get a normal life expectancy.

You need to be determinative and strong willing!
All the best!
Dr.Benard