• question-icon

Suggest treatment for herpes infection

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have been accused of giving my long time lover herpes whitlow on his pinky. See attached pic. He provided me no doc diagnosis only that he told a doc he was exposed and the one pic. I never got to see if the sore replicated. 6 days after the allegation he was on video accepting an award with no bandages on his pinkies and wringing his hands several times while on stage. He is still claiming I gave it to him. How is that possible? It seems the sore disappeared in 6 days. Help me understand.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibody testing

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms,

I have gone through your question and have revised the picture you sent and I understand your concern . I would recommend that your partner takes a blood test for herpes IgG and IgM antibodies to detect if he acquired the herpes infection or not. If IgM is positive then he probably only recently acquired the infection. if the igG is positive then he acquired the infection more than 3-6 months ago, also IgG antibody testing can differentiate between HSV1 and HSV2..

I hope you find this possible, if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 24 minutes later
We are not talking to each other because I am still trying to understand and haven't taken responsibility because there was no skin on skin contact and I was past the fluid filled stage of my breakout. I want to better understand the process since my hands are tied. I thought sores last 7-20 days after exposure. Wouldn't there be evidence 6 days after his first breakout? Is there something that can stop the replication and heal the exposure within 6 days of his claim?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to resolve after 6 days

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, When an individual is first infected with herpes the duration of the primary outbreak will be the worst and most painful and can take 3 to 6 weeks to resolve. Subsequent recurrent outbreaks will be less severe, typically lasting 3 to 14 days and the frequency will become farther and farther apart with each recurring attack.

A typical cycle and duration of a primary herpes outbreak may look like the following:

Prodromal symptoms of mild tingling of the skin, itching, inflammation or pain may manifest after 3 to 14 days after the virus is transmitted. This might be accompanied with fever , headache and lymph node enlargement .
Next, small red bumps, watery blisters or small fluid lesions will start to form.
24 to 48 hours later, the blisters burst open, oozing a clear to milky fluid and leaving open sores and ulcers with a yellowish membrane that are painful to touch.
Approximately over the next 10 days, the ulcers will then dry, scab over and heal without any treatment or scarring. I hope I answered your question. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman