Suggest treatment for herniated disc

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Nov 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello doctor my mother is suffering from severe nerve failures..we have consulted several doctors but at last they asked to take MRI OF spine and head which says that two discs at top most of the spine is slipping and this blocks the nerves
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your mother is rightly advised for surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX

I have gone through your mother's findings in detail.
Your mother is rightly suggested for operation because slipped/herniated disc is causing neurological symptoms.Only surgery can reduce compression on nerve roots.
Generally mild to moderate cases of inter vertebral disc prolapse are managed conservatively by means of physiotherapy.Since she has severe disc prolapse,surgery is required.

Don't worry about risk.There is always some risk associated with the surgery.But now a days,minimal invasive technique is used and spinal disc surgery is safe due to advance techniques.

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
doctor,may I know to whom should I consult further
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should consult neurosurgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX

You should consult neurosurgeon for further management.

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari