• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hepatitis-B infection

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi ,

I'm 24 years old. Male. Today I have done a blood test to check HBsAg. And the result is unfortunately positive. I haven't got any symptoms yet. When I googled about this I found that there is no permanent cure for this.. I want to know what should I do in this situation. How could I make it not to get worse. What precautions i should take to maintain it under control.

I have some gastric problem also. Not severe.

Please provide me some help.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please provide certain details first.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me first ask you whether you have ever received Hepatitis B vaccination. The vaccination itself could result in HBsAg positivity but that does not meant that you have got the infection. Let me also ask the reason for which you got the test done. Also mention if you have ever indulged in high risk sexual behaviour and whether you have received any transfusions in the past. Based on your inputs I would be able to guide you further.

Since you have tested positive, you need to take care not to pass it on to others. You need to do the right thing. If you consider the test report to be correct, you need to talk to sexual partners and close contacts and family members or whoever you consider to be at risk. If not, you need to get re-tested but be sure to discuss the issues with me first (the answers to the queries I raised).

There is no specific precaution that you need to take otherwise.

I would await your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Thanks for the response. I haven't taken the vaccination.
I have done this test because my father had this test last week and result was positive. That's why I have taken the test.

I'm not married and have no sexual relationship.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A strategy needs to be formed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I assume that you have not been immunised for the same. In any case, the situation is rather perplexing. You need to discuss with your treating physician to make a plan about how to proceed with your life plans. There is no specific precautionary measures to suggest except for the precautions to ensure that you do not give it to others.

So, can I live a normal life. When it becomes life threatening.. will this virus go away
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle changes are needed

Detailed Answer:
No, the virus will not go away. However, there are medicines that can keep it under control. It is otherwise not predictable when the condition may worsen.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha