Suggest treatment for hematoma formed after an injection during pregnancy

Question
My daughter had a blood test on Wednesday and has now developed a red mark which looks like a catepillar underneath her skin at the site of the needle stick. She is almost 10 weeks pregnant and I am concerned for a possible infection. What should she do? Her OBGYN is gone for the day.
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be just hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.
Thank you for the picture ,it was really helpful.

It seems to be just a hematoma due to needle stick.
Hematoma is the collection of blood under the skin due to injury of small blood vessels.
It doesn't seem infected.It is bigger than it is expected to be from this procedure ,but it is just a hematoma.
You have nothing to worry about it.
It may take up to 2-3 weeks to totally clear up spontanously.

If your daughter has pain in this arm,with redness ,swelling and this area is warm then you might think of infection and consult her OBGYN.
In the picture doesn't seem to have any signs of infection.

Don't need to worry ,it doesn't cause problems with her baby.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have additional questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to help.

Regards!
Dr.Rovena Murati