Suggest treatment for headaches and high BP

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi. I am a 50 yr old female with a long medical history . I am 5 yrs post pheochromocytoma. I am on 3 different meds for my high bp. Norvasc, to prep and clonidine pills plus a patch and oasis. I also have a pacemaker. I am doctored out, per say and it is hard for me to make myself go to a doctor any longer BUT I have a new symptom. My bp today is 221/ 130 . Lately I've been having the worst headaches of my life. They are mainly in the back of my head and intensify with movement. Are they linked you think or just coinsedent?

Thank you
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes they can be linked, please visit the nearest Emergency department.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

Your blood pressure level of 220/130mmhg are in the range of hypertensive crisis.

Extremely high blood pressure (systolic pressure) of 180 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or higher or a (diastolic pressure) of 120 mm Hg or higher can damage the blood vessels. They become inflamed and may leak fluid or blood.

As a result, the heart may not be able to pump blood effectively. There is one thing that we do know, very high blood pressure can trigger an event known as malignant hypertension. Malignant hypertension is also referred to as a hypertensive crisis.

During a hypertensive crisis, pressure in the cranium builds as a result of your blood pressure suddenly spiking up to critical levels. The resulting headache feels unlike any other kind of migraine or headache and is very severe in nature and does not respond to medicines traditionally used in control of headache.

You should immediately visit the nearest ED and get an MRI brain done to rule out possibility of intra or extracranial bleed.

Parenteral (I.V.) anti-hypertensive therapy will be administered as at such high blood pressure (hypertensive emergency), oral anti hypertensives will not help.

Wish you the best of health.
Feel free to ask further.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee