Suggest treatment for growth of enterococcus faecalis
I recently had a swab test and it revealed growth of enterococcus faecalis. So the doctor has suggested levoflaxacin antibiotic to me for 5 days. Since am trying to get pregnant ( not sure if only already am) I am not sure if I should take the antibiotics. Is it safe to have these meds?
And what if one dont take these antibiotics will it have XXXXXXX adverse effect if am already pregnant?
Levofloxacin not recommended in pregnancy
Hi XXXX, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
I would first like to confirm that whether by swab test you mean a vaginal swab examination.
Enterococcus faecalis growth in vaginal smear examination is usually a contaminant from the surrounding perineal and anal area during the sampling, and is very rarely the original pathogen of the vagina or cervix. It is not usually recommended to take any treatment for such contaminant growth, if you do not have symptoms of foul smelling vaginal discharge and lower pain abdomen.
Levofloxacin is a FDA category C drug which means animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.Levofloxacin is shown to cause cartilage damage and arthropathy in animal fetuses, especially if exposure was in first trimester. It is not advisable to take this drug if you are having early pregnancy or planning pregnancy.
In my opinion, it is not advisable to take levofloxacin for such contaminant growth in vaginal smear. There will be no harm to fetus, in case you are pregnant, if you don't take levofloxacin for contaminant growth.
I would suggest you to get your vaginal smear examination repeated to confirm if any infection is present and take antibiotics which are safer in pregnancy.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr Deepti Verma
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Unknown report on enterococcus faecalis
- Enterococcus faecalis in sperm
- Enterococcus faecalis uti treatment
- Enterococcus faecalis treatment
- Enterococcus faecalis during pregnancy
- Enterococcus faecalis in sperm and effect
- Enterococcus faecalis vaginal discharge
- Treatment and cure for enterococcus faecalis infection
- Enterococcus faecalis of the eyes of newborns
- Morganella morganii enterococcus faecalis
- What are side effects of Unwanted 72 taken to stop pregnancy?
- What are the chances of pregnancy through unprotected sex without...
- What causes vaginal bleeding after having I pill?
- What causes delay in menstruation after taking I-pill?
- What causes dizziness after having Percocet?
- What causes delay in period despite having I pill after unprotected sex?
- What causes heavier menstruation while taking Progesterone during...
- What causes constipation, whitish bumps on nipples and pink spotting?
- What causes bleeding from vagina while urinating?
- What are the different methods of safe abortion?