Suggest treatment for giddiness and high BP levels

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My B.p levels are little high.(on an average 150-100) sugar levels are Fasting 90 and PSB is 180.
I am taking Dytor 5 mg 1 tablet in the morning and Glizid-40 mg 3 times a day before food . I am taking Zintac -150 mg 2 times a day at 7 A.M. and at 7 P.M. I have muscle pains and sometimes little giddiness. I am 57, a teacher by profession who works for 12 hours a day. Will you suggest any increase in the dosage or any other medicine?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Add another hypertensive

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I recommend that you add another class of antihypertensive.
Dytor is not an ideal antihypertensive to be started, it is usually started in patients with ischemic heart disease or heart failure.
I usually start with telmesartan 40 mg once daily. Make sure to check potassium and serum creatinine before starting this drug. It is a good drug with lots of benefits as it is protective to kidneys and the heart on long run

I hope I was of help , please get back to me for any doubts that you might have. I will be happy to clear them

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 days later
Namste Sir

Thanks for your reply

As suggested by you I have undergone the both tests.
Serum Creatinine is 1.2 mg/dl
Sodium Potassium Chloride (NA+ K+ CL-) is as follows
(NA+ : 138 mEq/L)
(K+ : 3.8 mEq/L)
(Chloride : 104 mEq/L)
Also I have visited a Physician and he recommended few more tests. The results are as follows
(Urea: 24 mg/dl)
(HbA1c: 6.5 %)
(TSH:3.89 micro Iu/ml)
(CBC: Normal) (ECG: Normal)
Lipid Profile, LFT, Ultra Sound tests are yet to be done. After seeing the reports doctor has changed the medicines.

The new medicines are:

1) Glycomet SR 500mg (1 tablet before breakfast)
2) Pan 40mg (1 tablet after waking up)
3) Telma 40mg (1 tablet at 9AM)
4) Cilacar 5mg (1 tablet at 8PM)
5) Cobadex CZS (1 Capsule after Lunch)
6) Calcimax K2 (1 Capsule in the night after dinner for 15 days and again to be continued after a gap of 15 days) This one was prescribed for Shoulder cramps.

I want to know whether there are any side effects with these medicines. Also, please let me know about dietary restrictions.

Thanks & Regards
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diabetic diet

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

I see that your doctor also has prescribed Telma. You are on the current regimen for your condition.
Here are my suggestions

1. Exercise daily for minumum of 30 minutes a day. Yoga and pranayama are not alternatives to walking
2. Do not eat sugary items
3. Do not eat food rich in fat
4. Maintain a low salt diet, avoid chips, papad, pickle,etc
5. Chapathi is the ideal staple diet for you. Eat it with palya ( sald dish) and not curry
6. Do not eat more than a small bowl of rice
7. Avoid red meat
8. Avoid painkillers
I hope I was of help, please get back if you have more doubts

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist