Suggest treatment for genital spasms

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Is it normal to experience intense genital spasms and tingling sensations with panic attacks? What can be done to help alleviate frequent panic attacks?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
spasm is not possible while panic attacks , tingling sensation may occur

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing us back.

During panic attack intense genital spasm does not happen. It may be associated with vaginismus. Causes of vaginismus should be ruled out.Yes tingling sensation like all over body may happen in genitalia also while panic attack.

General approach to manage panic attack is relaxation therapy and deep breathing. Take deep slow breathing. Inhale for 3 seconds, keep breath in for 3 seconds and exhale for 3 seconds. Do it for 10-15 minutes. You will feel relax.

Apart from medicines you need to maintain healthy lifestyle. This includes regular daily exercise (walking or running), hygienic food habits ( no junk food, no fatty food, preferably only home-made food with law salt and fat with more fruits and vegetables) and timely scheduled sleep. Yoga- meditation can also help.

In medications anti anxiety medicines like klonopin or xanax can help as on when required basis.
Simultaneously CBT- cognitive behaviour therapy can stop panic attacks and can cure the same if applied genuinely.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 13 hours later
What is vaginismus and what are its symptoms? I've been experiencing intense tingling and throbbing in my vaginal area that feels like sexual arousal but isn't. It's a constant sensation and I can't seem to make it go away. Sometimes heart palpitations occur with the sensations.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
tingling and throbbing during intercourse is called vaginismus

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up and sorry for delayed response.

Vaginismus is burning or stinging pain when the vagina is penetrated. An intense fear of penetration and pain, which makes her avoid sex.In this her vagina's muscles squeeze or spasm when something is entering her, like a tampon or a penis. It can be mildly uncomfortable, or it can be painful.
The tightening of the vagina is involuntary and you cannot do anything to stop it. The body has learned to associate penetration with pain and, whenever penetration is expected, the vaginal muscles tighten as a protective reaction.
I have mentioned vaginismus possibility as you told that there is intense vaginal spasm. If your problem is continuous and no relation with sex, no possibility of vaginismus is there.

Your problem is intense tingling and throbbing in vaginal area and feeling of sexual arousal. They are constant sensations. If at all they related with panic attacks they must not be there continuously. This is likely related to some nerve related pathology.
Common causes of such problem are:
Vaginal infection, Diabetes, Vitamin B12 deficiency, Peripheral neuropathy, Peripheral nerve trauma, Peripheral nerve compression (likely pudendel nerve), Sciatica, Vaginal injury.

Heart palpitations are likely secondary to these abnormal sensations.

Need to consult gynecologist for detail evaluation.

Let me know if you have any other symptoms related to causes I mentioned.

take care.