Suggest treatment for gastric issues and throat pain after quitting smoking

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi my frniends age is 24 and he has been smoking since last 2 yrs and he would like to quit smoking as soon as possible. but i have heard that even if someone quits smoking it can cause cancer. and lately he has been having gastric troubles and throat pain and sometimes heart palpitations . what should he do?
thank you
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It takes 15 years to be at equal risk as non smoker after quiting smoking.

Detailed Answer:
The risk of cancer becomes less as the number of years you have been smoke-free increases.As per your query,
Within minutes of smoking the last cigarette, the body begins to restore itself.
This is the result of trails published in NCBI reports-
20 minutes after quitting-Your heart rate and blood pressure drop.
12 hours after quitting-The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
2 weeks to 3 months after quitting-Your circulation improves, meaning your blood is pumped better and your lungs work better.
1 to 9 months after quitting-Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; Lung function improves increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.
1 year after quitting-The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
5 years after quitting-Your risk of stroke is reduced to that of a non-smoker 2-5 years after quitting. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus and bladder is cut in half after 5 years.
10 years after quitting-The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a person who is still smoking.
15 years after quitting-The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker's.
Gastric troubles throat pain and palpitations can be because of smoking.
Initially i would suggest you to go for few base line tests of cardiology like
Stress test and 2d echo and lipid profile to see the effect of smoking on his heart,Once these tests are normal you can follow no smoking strictly,And things will return back to normal soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D