Suggest treatment for foot pain while on Metformin

Posted on Mon, 25 Sep 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have constant foot pain. The pain moves from one foot to another - literally. The most recent was heal pain - the back of my heal, not the bottom. I thought it was bursitis. After a couple weeks it went away, and returned in the other foot two days later - same type of pain. I iced and Advil, it went away. Pain came back in the opposite foot, in the ball of my right foot two days later. I am now icing it again, Advil, and drinking allot of water because a foot Dr. I went to see told me it could be gout. The pain is always a different part of my foot and never both feet at the same time, always moves from foot to the other. one foot to the other. This type of intermittent pain has gone on for several months. I had gout in 2015 - traditional knuckle of my big toe. Since then I make sure I get plenty of water (40-80oz a day) and now eat very little red meat. I cannot find relief no matter what I do. I was pre diabetic. I take 500mg of Metformin. However, my A1c has been normal since I lost weight.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Acute gout flare

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description, it is most likely to be an acute flare of gout (Crystal induced arthropathy). For the acute episode advil and ice are fine. If the pain recurs despite using NSAIDs (Ibuprofen) then adding colchicine and replacing advil with ketorolac can be advised.

To prevent a further recurrence , in addition to adequate fluid intake, uric acid level should be normalized once the flare is over. They should not be used during an acute attack. Allopurinol or febuxostat can be advised in consultation with your doctor/ rheumatologist.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil