• question-icon

Suggest treatment for folliculitis

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dr. xxxxxx XXXXXXX xxxxxxxx, You diagnosed the ichy bumps as bug bites. They are an alergic reaction of some sort aggravated by hot temperatures. They are only on certain parts of my body, some places a bug would not be able to bite. And they are not bed bugs. Do you have any suggestions for treatment. I have taken an antihistamine and used cortisone cream on the area.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I said it is an insect bite hypersensitivity reaction which means it is an allergic reaction to the bite of an insect.
It is not due to multiple bites at different sites.
A single bite can cause a reaction. It can be due to any insect and not in particular from bed bugs.
The other possibility could be folliculitis which is inflammation of the hair follicles.
It is common in hot weather.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist