• question-icon

Suggest treatment for flatulence and frequent bowels movemnet

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor,

Looks like my 2 year old son is not completely fit with his stomach from past few days. He is passing stool with very bad smell and also farting with bad smell. Can you please advise any home remedies?
He is eating food but comparatively lesser and I am not forcing him to eat as he should first get well with his stomach
Also is it advised to give him ORS now to increase water intake?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will settle by itself

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... usually the symptoms you are describing occur due to the protein intake the child has. The bacteria in the gut cause this flatulence and bad smell to the faecal matter.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).

I suggest that you give ORS only if there is large amount of watery stool which might lead on to dehydration.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology