Suggest treatment for fever in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My daughter 7 year kid having fever since yesterday 101 yesterday morning she had fever
And later whole day no fever and then again today she had 100
Can I continue ibugesic plus (ibuprofen and paracetamole)
Or should I give only paracetamole?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give only Paracetamol - Avoid combination medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... Please give only plain Paracetamol.

After the rains, Dengue fever has started coming up. The NSAID combination medication may affect the platelet function. Avoid them.

What you say looks like viral illness.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day.

If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth