Suggest treatment for fever in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: hello doctor,

My son is XXXX and he is 2.5 yrs old, today he had balding ceremony, so he had taken bath twice before and after ceremony, and in evening he had apple and pomegranate juice now he had got fever of about 39.5 degree celsius, presently i have given 4ml of p125 syrup. can i give mefanorm to him after 4 hrs if the fever is not gone down
please clarify
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may give mefanorm if fever recurs

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Mefanorm contains mefenemic acid which is more effective medicine than paracetamol to bring down the temperature. P125 contains paracetamol.You may repeat the dose of paracetamol at an interval of 6-8 hours.
You may give mefanorm if fever recurs.Each 5 ml of mefanorm contains 100 mg of mefenemic acid and the dose is 6-8 mg/kg/dose.It can be given at an interval of 8 hours.So if the weight of the baby is 10-12 kg,you may give 4-5 ml of mefanorm.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more doubt.