Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
He has a sore throat
Thanks for posting your query at HealthCareMagic. I have gone through the details provided by you. It seems that he has a condition called 'infectious mononucleosis' (glandular fever) which is caused by a virus called Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV). Your doctor has rightly pointed out about it. Infection with the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) is very common. In the United States, about 50% of all children 5 years of age and nearly 95% of adults have had an EBV infection. Most of these infections cause symptoms similar to those of a cold or other mild viral infections. Symptoms vary, but the most common are extreme fatigue, fever, sore throat, and swollen lymph nodes. Gurgle with lukewarm water and drugs like acetaminophen/paracetamol or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory can be used to relieve fever and pain. Antibiotics are ineffective as it is a viral condition. As it is not a bacterial condition, bacterial culture of throat swab does not give any growth as mentioned by you. Symptoms may be present for 5-15 days.
The symptoms of infectious mononucleosis also occur in many other viral and bacterial infections. Therefore, infectious mononucleosis is often unrecognized. Usually, a simple blood test known as a heterophil antibody or monospot test is done to confirm the diagnosis. Sometimes early in the infection or in young children, the monospot test is negative, and other specific antibody blood tests are necessary to confirm the diagnosis.
You can rely on your doctor. You would have be be a bit patient as sometimes it takes some time to resolve. I hope that I have been able to relieve your anxiety to some extent. Feel free to communicate back in case of further queries if any.
Medicines could cause gastritis
Thanks for asking back.
The medicines he is taking might be irritating his gastric mucosa and causing gastritis. This could be responsible for the abdominal pain. The solution would be to give him medicines in full stomach and giving small meals but at frequent intervals. It is unrelated to the viral infection. But the cough is due to the same viral infection. Steam inhalation would help in liquefying the cough and help the situation.
I hope that with this information you would be able to deal with the situation better. Wishing him a quick recovery.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for sore throat after fever
- Suggest treatment for cold with sore throat
- Coughing and sore throat suggest the treatment
- Suggest treatment for persistant fever with cold and sore throat
- Suggest treatment for recurring sore throat
- Suggest treatment for sore throat
- Child fever sore throat
- High fever sore throat suggestions
- Suggest treatment for sore throat with headache
- Suffer from sore throat fever and headache treatment
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever