Suggest treatment for extreme foot pain, bilateral foot and ankle swelling

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Accident and Emergency
Question: Hello Sirs,

I am a 48 y/o female; I've had bilateral foot/ankle swelling and extreme foot pain for going on 2months now. I am miserable and desperate for some relief. The pain is continuous; it feels like all the bones in my feet are broken even though I've suffered no trauma. I can hardly walk or stand. I have no relief from sitting or elevating my feet. I've tried anti inflammatories, soaking them in epsion salt, heat, ice, and just about everything I can think of to get some relief. All have failed to give me some relief. I've been to my PCP and he doesn't seem to have any answers. I'm now trying to get into to a podiatrist. Could you please guide me or suggest some possibilities that I could talk about with the podiatrist??
I'm so desperate for some relief, and I'm consumed and exhausted with the pain.
Any help you could give would be greatly Appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigations.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in both the feet with swelling upto ankles is likely to be due to inflammatory changes in the joints- can be due to arthritis. A rheumatologist is the best person to be consulted.
For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of feet.
Arthritis requires expert care with various disease modifying drugs (Imunomodulators). You can start these drugs after discussing with your doctor.

I would like to give some diet tips which might be helpful to get rid of these pain. Often the elimination of certain foods such as the following will help greatly:

Dairy products, with the exception of plain yogurt with active culture
Citrus, with the exception of lemon and grapefruit
Alcohol
Meat including beef, pork, and lamb (other sources of protein such as chicken, fish and beans are less likely to promote inflammation)
Vegetable oils (continue using olive oil and the essential fatty acids flax seed, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower oils)

I would also like to give some advice to make the life better and to fight with these pains-
Do regular physiotherapy of your feet.
Hot fomentation to decrease the joint stiffness
Hot bath of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate)-Magnesium has both anti-inflammatory and anti- arthritic properties and it can be absorbed through the skin.
These measures can help you temporarily.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon