Suggest treatment for excessive weight gain while having hypothyroidism

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: Diagnosed with hypothyroidism year ago I am 48 year old post menapausal woman I was put on levothyroxin and felt awesome lost the 20 pounds I gained then 6 months later medicine wasn't worked all symptoms came back gained all weight back dr adjusted mess no improvement swithched me to synthroid no improvement wadjusted disafe no improvement I am either awake for days or so tired I literally have fallen asleep standing up I can't loose the weight even though I only drink water and eat once a day I am miserable I hare this and nothing is helping am I just gonna be like this until I die.? Please tell me what else I can do I am hopeless
That I will every feel better. I am locked out of my email can you send to my phone 0000
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Has your doctor controlled your TSH levels?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for contacting us.

I have reviewed your information fully and this seems very suggestive of hypothyroidism. What keeps me curious is why you are unable to control symptoms with the available medications. Could it be another disease condition? TO make the difference, I suggest that you get you blood thyroid stimulating hormone measured (TSH). This way, I will tell whether you are receiving enough synthroid or not. This is because taking it orally doesn’t guarantee it getting g into the system is taken alongside other supplements that may hinder absorption. if the TSH turns out and it is normal, then we would need to look beyond thyroid problems to see what else could explain your symptoms.

In all, do TSH control and share results with me. If they are in the normal target and yet you ate not feeling okay, then we really need to think about other possible causes.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T