Suggest treatment for eustachian tube dysfunction, chronic sinusitis and post nasal drip

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I have been diagnosed as suffering from Eustachian tube dysfunction (symptoms are in previous posts) and Dr believes I have chronic sinusitis as I have had sinusitis several times this year (this is my 5th occurrence since December) my head feels congested but no runny nose (post nasal drip which is getting better) although I have intermittent pressure in my sinuses. I have noticed the last couple of days that when I stand up quickly from sitting down the pressure increases in my sinuses and behind my nose, a throbbing sensation and I am wondering if this is a normal thing with sinus /ETD - I don't think its blood pressure related as I have a monitor at home and it is pretty much constant whether standing or sitting etc.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms are of sinusitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the history thoroughly and understood your problem. I'll try my best to help you with this query.

The description given by you seems to be related to sinusitis. The former could be one of the prime cause of Eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD).

First of all, you need to get an X-Ray of the paranasal sinuses done to find out the extent of sinus blockage.

Secondly, you would require to follow few medical measures and home remedies for a quicker relief.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water, this will help in hydrating the tissues and clearing the secretions accumulated in the sinuses.
2. Use saline nasal spray, as and when required. Saline decongests the nose, keeps the nasal mucosa moist and clears the nasal secretions.
3. Do steam inhalation at least couple of times in a day. Steam opens up the clogged sinuses.
4. Avoid chilled food and beverages, smoking, coffee and fizzy drinks.

With the above measures you should be feeling better. Revert back to me if you have any follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 36 minutes later
So the pressure when standing could be related to sinus pressure?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, sinus pressure can worsen on standing and bending forward...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Yes, when the sinuses are blocked you do get pain irrespective of the position, more so, on bending forward and standing. My humble suggestion to you is to get the X-Ray of the paranasal sinuses to look for the extent of sinus blockage.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 19 minutes later
Thank you for your answer, my GP is reluctant to let me have an X-ray but I will ask again. I get grating sounds in the centre of my head when I turn it from side to side an not sure if this is connected also?
Brief Answer:
No it's not related to sinusitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome back

No, both are not related.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist