question-icon

Suggest treatment for enlarged spleen

Posted on Mon, 13 Jul 2015
Question: What can I do for an enlarging spleen. I will have my second PET scan in a year tomorrow. But my blood work has always been described as Normal. Other than there is some elevation in my calcium and a decrease in vitamin D....
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Exact cause of splenic enlargement has to be known.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The exact cause of splenic enlargement has to be known.
I would like to know the present size of the spleen. If it is between 11 to 20 cms in any dimension it is moderately enlarged and if it is more than 20cms,it is severely enlarged.
There are many causes like Malaria, Leukemia, Lymphoma, Cirrhosis of liver with portal hypertension etc.
I would like to know the reason for PET SCAN which helps in the diagnosis of Cancerous lesions.
It has no relation to Calcium and Vitamin D levels.
If you come back with answers to my questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon