• question-icon

Suggest treatment for elevated ALT levels

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi Doctor, I'm writing to connect with Liver specialist. My reports indicate a severe elevated liver enzymes release from Liver. I'm worried and distressed. I'm 31 years with occassional drinking and smoking habits. Do not exercise and not on clean diet. 6 Feet Tall, 102 Kilos weight.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fatty liver disease

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Your ALT is moderately increased. The most common cause fatty liver disease.
You are obese and your triglycerides are slightly high.
These two are risk factors for fatty liver disease.

You can get an ultrasound scan of the abdomen done to confirm fatty liver.
Weight reduction is the first step in the treatment for fatty liver.
Try to avoid alcohol.

Let me know if you any more questions.
Dr.R.K.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Hello Doctor RK,
Thanks a lot. I would like to know if there are things for me to worry about. I would be grateful if you can help advise on the below:

1) ALT in the report that I have attached, says I have more than 200% of the biological reference. Is that dangerous?

2) I have come across comments from my previous abdomen scanning, that I have grade 1 fatty liver but, doctors also mentioned that it is common nowadays and nothing to be worried about. I will take your advise and get an abdomen scanning done, what are the next steps?

3) Alcohol happens once in a month or so. When it happens, I drink a lot. Now, I have couple of international travel and I might need to drink at some events. Should I be choosy of what I drink and how much I drink? Or, should I stop alcohol on the whole?

4) What should I do to get back into healthy liver state? Should I avoid specific foods?

5) Should I be worried about the Uric acid condition that I had a month ago?

Sorry for so many questions. I would be grateful for your advise and follow exactly what you say.

Thanks

Bests,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for getting back to me with more questions.

1. No it is not dangerously high.

2. If that scan one was done only recently, there is no need to repeat it,

3. Occasional alcohol intake is ok. But now since you have altered liver function, avoiding alcohol is what I would advise.

4. Weight reduction and avoiding alcohol

5. Yes high uric acid affects joints and kidneys. Good that you have brought it under control. Alcohol and red meat also increase uric acid.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 days later
Hi Doctor R.K,

Many thanks. Local general physician has asked me to take Polybion syrup. Does that help? Or should I take Liv 52? Does that help?

Sorry for the multiple follow ups and I'm keen to follow your advise to recover my liver back to healthy state.

Thanks

Bests,
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Liv 52 and Nusam

Detailed Answer:
You can take Liv 52 and Nusam ( both twice a day)

Dr.R.K.
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist