What causes elevated SGPT levels?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I have taken annual health checkup and my sgpt levels are 64 U/L. Some 1 years back I had undergone a ultrasound test and in reports it was found that my liver size has increased. I had undergone medicine that time, and it was fine. What can be the case of higher sgpt levels?
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Valvular Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's just a slightly deranged levels

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that the normal recommended range of sgpt for an adult is 7 to 56 u/l. So according to that your levels are very slightly deranged and there is nothing to worry for.

The most important cause of this slightly increased levels is our daily dietary habits. Here I will list down few important dietary tips for you to follow with with your levels will become normal.

1. Eat nutrient rich diet. Make sure your diet has a lot of colors. Green leafy vegetables, broccoli, carrots and a variety of fresh fruits should be a part of your diet.

2. Also make sure that your diet is rich in Vit D also as it protect liver from injury.

3. Avoid food rich in fat and high salt content.

4. No smoking , No Alcohol

5. Exercise daily.

Follow these things regularly and you will be all fine.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: What causes elevated SGPT levels? 9 hours later
Thanks for your reply doc. Can I take XXXXXXX 52 to help here?? Also I take vitamin D3, fish oil and a becasole capsule daily

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes you can take liv 52 as it's a herbal solution and is quite helpful in strengthening liver power. Vit d3 and fish oil can be taken.

Becasule cap should not be taken for more than 15 days continously.

Hope to have been helpful. In future if you want my opinion then don't forget to mention my name in the start of your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: What causes elevated SGPT levels? 1 hour later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX
Please suggest why becasolue capsules cannot be taken more than 15 days
. As I am a complete vegetarian, my diet doesn't have vitamin B12 and other b vitamins. Please suggest me a way or a multi vitamin which can be taken lifetime to have sufficient levels of b vitamkns

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Continuous use can lead to stone formation in a minor proportion of patients. Although there is no proven study regarding that but usually its advised to take for 15 days or can be taken every alternate day for long term.

Milk, yougurt and cheese are good source of vit b 12

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap