Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for ear infection

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
Fullness in the right ear, feels like fluid in my right ear, with a pain that radiates down the right side of jaw down the right side of neck. Neck tender on right side with palpating and if I turn my neck to the side or up and down. Discomfort in my right lower moler(2nd to last) as well. Is this an ear infection. Progressive discomfort since Sunday, seems to start at night. Help???
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting the query. I will try my best to help you out with this problem.

The symptoms described by you could be related to either middle ear infection (Acute otitis media) or temporo-mandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ dysfunction). Both of these conditions start with similar symptoms; a complete examination of the ear and the nose helps in finding out the actual cause.

If it is otitis media, then you may require oral antibiotics, pain killers (such as ibuprofen or diclofenac), a nasal decongestant, saline nasal spray and steam inhalation. TMJ dysfunction has to be treated with joint immobilization for a week, local analgesic application and oral pain relievers (such as ibuprofen or diclofenac).

At present, you may start with OTC pain relievers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac and consult your doctor at the earliest for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor