Suggest treatment for ear infection

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Fullness in the right ear, feels like fluid in my right ear, with a pain that radiates down the right side of jaw down the right side of neck. Neck tender on right side with palpating and if I turn my neck to the side or up and down. Discomfort in my right lower moler(2nd to last) as well. Is this an ear infection. Progressive discomfort since Sunday, seems to start at night. Help???
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I will try my best to help you out with this problem.

The symptoms described by you could be related to either middle ear infection (Acute otitis media) or temporo-mandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ dysfunction). Both of these conditions start with similar symptoms; a complete examination of the ear and the nose helps in finding out the actual cause.

If it is otitis media, then you may require oral antibiotics, pain killers (such as ibuprofen or diclofenac), a nasal decongestant, saline nasal spray and steam inhalation. TMJ dysfunction has to be treated with joint immobilization for a week, local analgesic application and oral pain relievers (such as ibuprofen or diclofenac).

At present, you may start with OTC pain relievers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac and consult your doctor at the earliest for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad