Suggest treatment for degenerative disc disease
I'm suffering from leg pains since last 2 years. I couldn't say its leg pain, its leg seizing starts from knee to calf. I have visited doctor Neurophysician DNB (Neuro), he suggested to have blood test and then we came to know that I had Vitamin – D3 deficiency [had 14.36 ng/mL which is in insufficient range]. He prescribed medicines for one month and some precautions like stay on sunlight in the morning & evenings, food etc.
After having medicines I didn’t feel much comfort with my leg pains so visited the doctor again. He asked us to go for D3 test again, now this time I got good results in D3 Levels increase [had 39.06 ng/mL] but leg pains still remains. He prescribed different medicines but no good results, likewise visited the doctor couple of time but of no use.
So I decided to change the doctor and visited Orthopaedic Surgeon doctor, after examine my earlier reports he decided that the problem is not because of Vitamins deficiency it could be disc issue or different one. So he suggested to go for MRI scan for spine, here are MRI results –
• Early Dorso-lumber spondylosis.
• Early intervertebral disc dessication at L1/2 and L4/5 levels.
• At L3/4 level, there is mild bilateral postero-lateral disc bulge causing mild flattening of the anterior theca with moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
• At L4/5 level, there is circumferential disc bulge with the discosteophyte complex causing mild indentation on the anterior theca and roots of cauda equine with severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
• At L5/S1 level, there is circumferential disc bulge with the discosteophyte complex causing mild indentation on the anterior theca with moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
• Osseous spinal canal stenosis from L1 to L5 Level.
After examined the reports he prescribed medicines, he said if it is not cure with the medicines we would need small surgery. Now I’m so worry about the surgery as I’m having same leg pains still.
Could you kindly suggest how could I get relief from above mentioned problem, is it necessary to go for surgery to cure the problem.
Epidural steroid injection can be given .
Thanks for your query.
It seems you are suffering from degenerative disc disease & it occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You are already taking these.
You can follow these measures:
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects and forward bending.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
If there is no any relief with medicines and exercises , injection in back (epidural steroid injection) can be given to decrease the pain and inflammation around the nerve roots.
I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Anabolic steroids degenerative disc disease treatment
- Suggest treatment for pain due to degenerative disc disease
- Suggest treatment for degenerative disc disease of cervical spine
- What is the cause and treatment of degenerative disc disease
- Is degenerative disc disease curable
- Is relafen used in the treatment of degenerative disc disease ?
- Any suggestion for degenerative disc disease
- Suggest treatment for degenerative disc disease and bulging disk
- Treatment and cure for Then degenerative disc disease
- Nutritional supplements and treatment of degenerative disc disease
- Is SAAZ an effective medicine for Sacroilitis? Any alternate medicine?
- Suffering from external hemroids. Having irregular bowel movement and...
- What is knee resurfacing surgery? Can a person lead a normal life?
- Having soreness in arm. MRI of shoulder and knee done. What does the...
- Suffering with back pain. What should I do to get cure?
- Suffering from back pain. How to get relief?
- Having continuous pain in hand. How to get relief from pain?
- Have had fracture in ribs. Had a small pneumothorax. Why am I feeling...
- Found a lump on the leg. X-ray and ultrasound is to be done. What could...
- Is it safe to take vyvanse 100mg prior to surgery?