Suggest treatment for coughs and pain while recovering from bronchitis

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: i had bronchitis when i was in my school and i was told to take aerocot rotacaps for a long period of time may be for a year or two. then i got fine but now suddenly at the age of 20 i got it back and its now almost a year and more i m facing it. my doctor diagonised it n suggested for seroflow 250 twice a day. but when i stop taking it my condition gets worse , when i cough my stomach pains and a lot of white mucus/phelgm comes out with cough and now i even face night time bronchitis cough suddenly in the mid of night badly.. pls help
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely due to allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely due to allergy. This can in turn cause irritation in bronchi.
I would suggest combination of anti histamines like levocetirizine and mast cell stabilzers like monteleukast for long term in such case. This will help to prevent from getting attacks.
When you have acute attack corticosteroids for inhalation will be needed. Seroflo can be used in such case. If this is not helping then a short course of oral corticosteroids like methyl prednisolone will be helpful.
Avoid contact with dust and pollen. Vacuum your room properly. If you have gastritis or acid reflux that should be controlled by diet and antacid drugs like Ranitidine or Esomeprazole ( Nexium ).

These measures will be helpful to normalize your condition.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 4 hours later
thank u doctor.
i also wanted to know about my problem that i face every night or day whenever i lay down n sleep on bed i start coughing continiously. how to get rid of it? is this causing me chronic bronchitis??
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely this could be due to Laryngopharyngeal reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

Most likely cough during sleep on bed could be due to Laryngophayngeal reflux. This can worsen bronchial irritation. Taking acid lowering drugs liked Ranitidine (Rantac) 150 mg twice daily before food or Esomeprazole (Nexium) 40 mg Once daily 20 min before breakfast for long term will be helpful for this.

Have an interval of at least 2 hours before going to bed after dinner. Scheduling the dinner time early will be better. Avoid excess spicy , fatty and junk foods. Coffee , carbonated drinks, smoking and alcohol should be avoided also. Raise the head end more with extra pillows.

These all measures will be helpful to clear the reflux.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee