Suggest treatment for cough with irritation in throat

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, ive had a cold for about 3 days, getting better then i got this cough from post nasal drip in my throat. No fever. Tonight as i was laying on my back i felt like a chunk of thick post nasal drip in my throat so i started coughing and gagging it up and it was bloody. It tasted like metal in my mouth and i spit a few times and it was bloody and then stopped and turned clear. Ive never had that happen before. I just started coughing today more with the tickle in my throat. Could this just be my sinuses? Im worried. I plan to call the doctor in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....nothing to worry as it is just because of cold and not sinusitis.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
In normal course our nose and throat produces lot of mucus which helps in keeping these areas moist and trap and destroy foreign particles like bacteria and virus but when the cold virus attacks you,there is immense production of this mucus which comes either from front resulting in runny nose or may drip in throat resulting in post nasal drip.
Since it is your first experience it appears to be just a cold and not sinusitis.
Just wait for 3-4 days more and you would be all right once the viral infection dies off.
In mean time you can do following to help you....
Avoid cold drinks and smoking 
Take more of hot liquids 
Take steam inhalation 2-3 times a day.
May take FEXOFENADINE 180 mg once a day for few days to decrease the copious production of mucus. it would help you in your cough also.
You should be all right in next 3-4 days.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
You are most welcome to contact me any time.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 45 minutes later
So you dont think the blood is from my lungs or anything? Or chest
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 14 minutes later
A single episode of very mild blood in cough can happen to anybody after a violent cough but the matter assumes significance if such episodes happen repeatedly.
Such a situation would definitely warrant an in depth assessment and proper investigations to look for the cause.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 minutes later
Okay, thank you. This seemed to be coming from my post nasal drip because i felt something going down my throat and then hocked it up and thats when the blood was mixed with it and in my saliva. This morning i felt that again but it was not bloody just yellowish.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 minutes later
I think you should just wait and watch and carry on with steam inhalation.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 minute later
Okay, thank you :)
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 0 minute later
You are welcome.
Thanks